Blog Post 6

I think the way in which Trevor Noah employs comedy to discuss racism and colonialism is especially interesting because of the way he kind of takes the edge off of such a dark topic and makes it more palatable for a common audience. Furthermore, I really liked the way he highlighted the differences between colonial powers and the people groups they colonized, specifically with the bit he had about god. The back and forth joke about God really showed how culturally different the two people groups are, and I feel like by including it, Trevor Noah showcased how colonial powers truly did not take into consideration the differing cultures of people groups around the world, and the different traditions they might have. I also feel like the way he represented India in Britain in his skit and characterized them as two different people helped to portray colonialism in a more playful manner, while still communicating the reality of the situation. The banter he does between the two conveys the superiority western powers feel/felt they have/had over other groups, which goes into the overarching theme of racism and this idea of white superiority by showing how these colonial powers think they are doing some charitable act by taking over these people.